Fried Tofu with Homemade Ranch
Homemade Ranch Dressing:
1 cup Vegenaise
1/3 cup vegan sour cream
1/4 cup organic almond/rice/soy milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh chives
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 pack organic extra firm tofu (pressed)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup almond/rice/soy milk
1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
3/4 teaspoon paprika (try red pepper flakes)
pinch of salt
canola oil for fryingDirections:
1. Mix all the ingredients for the ranch in a bowl and place in the refrigerator. I think it taste better if it is chilled overnight.
2. Set the tofu flat on a cutting board and slice in half like opening a hamburger bun. Then cut into strips with desired width. *hint-wider strips hold better*
3. Set up the coating station next. In a bowl mix together flour and non-dairy milk until lumps are gone. In a another bowl, mix together bread crumbs, salt, paprika and whatever seasoning you want to add. Heat canola oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat and make sure it is enough for the sticks you have.
4. Coat the tofu sticks in the flour mixture, then into the bread crumbs making sure all sides are evenly coated. Drop some bread crumbs into the pan to listen for the crackling sound to let you know the oil is ready.
5. Add the sticks carefully to the pan and turn until golden brown. Use a slotted spatula to drain the excess oil and place on a plate of paper towels. Repeat until all sticks have been prepared. Serve with chilled ranch dressing.
This is a variation of Beer-Battered Tofu Sticks with Ranch Dressing from VegWeb which can be a touch too salty so I made some adjustments and omitted the beer :).